Sunday, July 3, 2011

rose petal macarons


Macarons come in some interesting flavours and some of which I've tried include lavender and rose. I really like the taste of rose in almost anything I've tried with it, and although it may seem odd to make dessert with rose petals in ("Ew! I don't eat flowers!" says my sister) I think it turned out pretty well. I did feel somewhat bad desecrating a rose for the purposes of decoration, but that it seemed like a necessary sacrifice. The recipe I used is a basic macaron recipe with pink food colouring. The filling is made with whipping cream, sugar and rose water. I also added some lychees so it resembled the filling for Ispahan (which is basically a giant rose macaron with raspberries inside), but I actually think it would have tasted better without them because the rose taste was masked somewhat.

For the shells:
90 gr egg whites (about 3) - preferably separated the night before
30 gr sugar
200 gr icing sugar
110 gr almonds
red food colouring

Whisk the egg whites to a foam, gradually add the sugar until you obtain a glossy meringue. Add the food colouring and continue. Do not overbeat your meringue or it will be dry. Put the icing sugar and almonds through a food processor until the nuts are finely ground. Sift them into the meringue, give it a quick fold initially to get it mixed and then start folding carefully until you obtain a batter that smooths itself after about 15 seconds. 

Test a small amount on a plate: if the tops flattens on its own you are good to go. If there is a small beak, give the batter a couple of turns. Note: if the mixture flattens too quickly you've over-mixed it.

Fill a pastry bag fitted with a plain tip and pipe small rounds of the batter (1.5 inches in diameter) onto parchment paper. Preheat the oven to 150 degrees C. Let the macarons sit out for 45 minutes to an hour to harden their shells a bit and bake for 15-20 minutes, depending on their size. Let cool before you remove them from the tray.

For the filling: 
250ml whipping cream
1 tablespoon caster sugar
2 tablespoons rosewater

Whisk whipping cream will frothy, add caster sugar and continue to whisk till thick and of piping consistency. Do not over-whip the cream as it will split. Add the rosewater and gently whisk to combine. 

Sources: Tartelette, the Pleasure Monger

3 comments:

  1. Oh my - it is so exciting to see The Gingerbread Road is up and running. LOVE these macaroons, they look even better than the ones we had at Harrods...! Having gorged myself something silly that day...I think I may finally be ready to eat macaroons again. HINT HINT. F xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. =) I haven't forgotten - I have to bake them for you sometime!

    ReplyDelete