Saturday, July 2, 2011

fraisier.




Of my most prominent memories of Paris from 3 years ago is the fraisier. I can substitute dessert for any meal of the day, including breakfast, so about 80% of what I ate when I was in France was cakes (yes I ended up poorer and fatter), and at the time I thought fraisier was a light and fruity cake, perfect for the summer. Having actually made the fraisier I realise half of it is butter! Although that does explain the amazing taste. 


For the cake:
300g unsalted butter, softened
300g caster sugar
5 medium eggs, beaten
350g plain flour, sifted
1½ tsp baking powder, sifted
2 tsp vanilla extract
2/3 tbsp milk

For the crème mousseline:
3 medium eggs
120g caster sugar
25g flour
250ml milk
125g unsalted butter
2 drops vanilla extract

For the decoration:
600g strawberries
Various berries
20g dark chocolate, melted

Preheat the oven to 150°C. To make the vanilla sponge, butter and line a 20cm round cake tin. Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Gradually add the eggs, beating well. Fold in the flour and baking powder, along with the vanilla extract and milk. Transfer the cake mixture into the tin and bake in the preheated oven for 75-90 minutes. The cake is cooked when it is a golden brown colour and springy to the touch. Leave to cool in the tin for about 5 minutes before turning on to a wire rack to finish cooling.
When the cake is finally cool, split the cake in half. If the top isn’t flat cut it off so it is. If you do this invert the cake so you have the bottom at the top.

Mix the eggs, sugar, flour in a pan. Then slowly add the milk and heat gently. When the mixture is thickened, add half of the soft butter and mix well. Leave to cool. When the mixture has cooled, incorporate the rest of the butter and vanilla essence, and hand whisk at full speed until you have a smooth crème mousseline.

Place the bottom layer of cake in the tin, assemble the halved strawberries around the side, and then fill with the crème. Chop the rest of the strawberries and place them in the centre and place the other layer of cake on top. Refrigerate for an hour or two.

To decorate, fold some baking paper into a cone shape so that it has a very fine tip, and fill it with the melted chocolate, then make some chocolate swirls on the top of the cake. Place the berries on top (I used strawberries, raspberries and blackberries because that’s what I could find, but I think red currants and gooseberries would also work well).

Source: Eric Lanlard


3 comments:

  1. This looks amazing! I kind of wanna try it in minicakes now! I'm going to have to remember to do that....

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds good! I actually wanted to make them into minicakes as well but I didn't have the small round moulds :)

    ReplyDelete